Please click on paintings to view larger.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Merging Time


"Dusk"
Oil on linen 24x36"
for purchase info click here

This larger studio piece was inspired by a combination of two paintings from the 100 in 100 project, #97 and #100 (see below). I loved the overall mood of #97, but I wanted the feeling of a little more light in the sky, closer to dusk than nightfall, which I was captivated with when I painted #100.

It was fun to combine both elements, and I also added a more definite mountain range. Interestingly, a couple of folks remarked when seeing this piece at my show that you wouldn't actually be able to see the mountains from that vantage on Sarcee trail, you would need to drive about a kilometer further and be pointed a little more west. Which is exactly what happens each time I drive out of Calgary, and it crystallized for me one of the greatest joys of painting. One moment following another can be combined into one painting to express the full experience of moving through time.

Love that!



#97 - "12:01"
Oil on linen - 6x8"

#100 - "And to All a Goodnight"
Oil on linen - 6x8"

9 comments:

  1. Moving through time; life in a nutshell and we artists get to hold and/or string moments together in our art ... what a privilege!
    I love all three of these paintings, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blues in these. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so look forward to seeing your posts in my email! I learn something every time I see another one of your paintings. Love the combination and colors used for this one. Time is such a strange concept when you really think about it. How as artists, we can rearrange time to fit our own ideas. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the challenge paintings, but like the larger painting even more. The sparkling lights in the foreground, combined with the break of evening light in the sky are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great painting. So much drama in the clouds. I remember and liked both of the small paintings. Congratulations on converting the theme to a larger canvas and making such a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is amazing, i love the combination of elements from both, dramatic and visually stunning! beautiful painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This larger piece is so stunning! I like the smaller pieces, too, and can see how they inspired the bigger one. I'm impressed how you combined the feelings of the two and came out with this one great (big) work! And sorry, I just read Suzanne's comment before I hit 'post' and I realize she said it was 'stunning' too. That was my immediate thought when I saw it on the DPO site, and I raced to comment, without reading the other comments! Suzanne and I have a lot in common, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was drawn by the smaller pieces from Daily Painters Originals....and completed wowed by the larger painting. All so fabulous Liz! Very inspiring and captivating!

    ReplyDelete