Please click on paintings to view larger.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Stone Gathering" original oil 6x6"
























The exercise that worked me the most with this piece was arranging the stones in an interesting way. I started with them in a glass dish, but I really loved the light reflecting up from the cloth into their shadow sides which you couldn't see in the dish. It is interesting to take a square format and a bunch of little shapes and figure out how to fill the space effectively. It took about 7 or 8 attempts to find something I liked, this is an exercise one could do again and again to develop their design skills.

3 comments:

  1. This is unique and wonderful! I love those water smoothed river stones. It is a very soothing painting to gaze at. I hope you do at least a couple more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the originality of this piece. The palette is beautiful and the composition strong. I
    also like the simplicity of it...a very compelling little painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz! I love this painting!!! I love and your paintings and really enjoy your site, so I just awarded you the Sunshine Blogger award. Congrats, visit my site to retrieve it!

    ReplyDelete