Please click on paintings to view larger.

Monday, June 7, 2010

100 plein air paintings in 100 days - #37/#38 (and large, furry, sharp-toothed carnivores)




















#37 - "Mountain Meadow"
Original Oil 6x8"
For purchase info click here

10/05/24 (2pm)
This day of painting was all about the wildlife. For this first one, I was in a small enclosed meadow surrounded by forest, mid-painting, when Lily started with her low rumbling growl that says, "Intruder in our midst". I looked behind me to see a coyote silently watching us from about 100 feet away. I asked him politely to carry on his way, he kindly complied and was starting to trot away when Lily (the smart, beautiful wonder dog) decided she needed to really let him know who's turf he was on, and started bluff charging and barking her fool head off.

He took one look at her display of bravado and started marching in a determined fashion straight toward us, at which point I picked up my orange fluorescent ball thrower and started waving it madly in the air, trying my best to look ominous. He considered this for a moment, looked at me like I had totally lost my mind, and loped off in to the sunset.

And then...

















#38 - "Vermilion Lakes Road"
Original Oil 6x8"
For purchase info click here


















10/05/24 (7:30pm)
A bigger visitor... I was painting in the back of my car with the hatch open on a side road in Banff that runs along 3 beautiful small marshy lakes when I looked up to see this girl ambling along the side of the road in my direction. Aborted the painting and jumped in the driver's seat to follow her as she climbed the shoulder and cruised along for about a kilometre before disappearing into the woods. Sure wish I had my good camera with me.

As for the paintings, I seem to switch back and forth between a representational style and a more graphic approach, not intentionally, just happens, and it especially surprises me when I do it in the same day. Needless to say it was rather challenging to bring my focus back to finishing this one, but well worth the diversion. (Hey, don't those trees look kinda like big pointy teeth? Hmmm...)

8 comments:

  1. I love, love, love Vermillion Lakes Road. I do that too (switch around). I'm never trying - it's just what comes out. Glad to hear it happens to others. Gotta say the bear freaks me out though : O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that we are seeing spring in these, just wonderful.

    You should really paint the photo with the bear. I'll bet it would be GREAT. And here I am taking a different trail when I see a snake on the way to my planned plein air venue. Ha, ha. And go, Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just gave me some other reasons to stay in my studio. Kidding. Cool story and paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kim, nice to have such strong feedback on a piece that steps out a bit.

    PS: Bears freak me out too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always feel particularly blessed when allowed to watch... not necessarily interact with :-} any critter in the wild, I think "alive" is an apt description of the feeling. I believe it's the same element that gives your painterly sketches such appeal. Looking forward to the next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I came upon your project. What a great idea and the paintings are wonderful. I agree with Kim, I think Vermilion Lakes Road is my favorite, too! And I looked long and hard at each one! Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny how a chance encounter with a bear gives you a warm feeling AFTER the fact and when they're safely in a picture. I once had a bear stroll through our campsite as I was sitting at the picnic table reading. His mission was the Smithrite bin which he rolled into and out of once he was done, a little less steadily, and carried on his way. I must have been stunned because I continued to sit there with my book. The possibilities are too much to think about. What a day! I love the warmth of the meadow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Carol, it definitely makes me uncomfortable having close encounters with wildlife, especially when I’m focused on painting and not paying much attention to my external surroundings. Lily does make a good early warning system though.

    Robin, yes, I have been experiencing that aliveness in a profound way through out this project, and will write about it later on when I can articulate it a little more clearly.

    Beckie, I'm glad you came upon the project too! Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to look at all the pieces!

    Tracey, you may have been stunned, but also fascinated I'm sure! They are captivating creatures.

    ReplyDelete